When it comes to betting on goals, the “Under 2.5” market is one of the few markets that is actually quite popular among bettors, as it offers a wide variety of outcomes to bet on in a football match. It also tends to be very useful when it comes to placing multi bets.
The “Under 2.5” market is also known as “Under 2.5 goals” and, as its name suggests, it means placing a bet in which less than 3 goals must be scored in the match, which offers a wide range of possible outcomes. It also applies to each side of the match, or to the goals scored by one of the two teams in the match.
Thus, when we bet on the prediction “Under 2.5 goals” we are predicting that in a match there will be goals but not in very high quantities, since we would be talking about scores such as 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1, 2-0 or 0-2, leaving out scores such as 2-1, 1-2, 3-0, 0-3, 1-3, 3-1, 2-2, 3-3…
What is the difference between Under 2.5 and Over 2.5?
These markets differ mainly in the number of goals that can be scored in a match:
- Under 2.5. Less than 3 goals must be scored.
- Over 2.5. More than 3 goals must be scored.
In this case, the fact that these markets are expressed with decimal numbers is explained by the fact that the units can be better differentiated so that there are no errors when it comes to knowing the exact number of goals that fall within the market, as it is logically not possible to score half a goal.
Our strategy under 2.5 goals
The “Under 2.5” prediction, although it is more popular than others with similar characteristics, is not usually used as an individual prediction, but rather as a combined betting prediction.
In this case, the odds are not usually very high when betting on this market, as the results it contemplates have a fairly high percentage of probabilities, and the more goals that have to be scored, the lower the probability of being successful, with certain exceptions.
Therefore, to design a strategy to bet on the “Under 2.5” we must take into account that they can be quite probable if we choose the matches properly. On the other hand, if we combine this market with other predictions, we will have the possibility of obtaining more attractive odds.
Therefore, it is advisable to use this prediction in the following cases:
- Matches involving low-scoring teams: As with its sister markets, the “Under 2.5” prediction is highly recommended in those matches involving teams with low scoring dynamics, or teams that tend to score few goals when they play each other, as it is unlikely that 3 or more goals will be scored, with 0-0 or 1-1 draws being very common, as well as wins by the minimum score such as 1-0 or 2-0 and vice-versa.
- Matches with a big difference in level between the teams: In these types of matches, especially if it is the higher level team that is playing at home, is where there are quite a few options for the smaller team to end up going scoreless or at most score one or two goals. In this case, the “Under 2.5” prediction would apply to the latter team.
- Matches where losing seriously hurts both teams: As in the other similar markets, scoring goals hurts the sporting interests of both teams will generate a low-scoring match atmosphere, with 0-0 and 1-1 being the most common results in these situations.